Effective Email Copy and Design
Summary: Email marketing is the most cost-efficient sales channel. However, the copy and design of the emails does seriously affect click-thru. This article list a few rules of thumbs for good copy and design. But most importantly, A/B testing is the key.
When it comes to effectiveness of copywriting and design, gut feeling is guaranteed not adequate. Try guessing which version of the below converts better.
produced by Hyland Software, Inc
Emphasis on 1st Article
Choice of Anchor Text
- Make the e-mail less like an advertisement, e.g. in the form of a reminder
- Personalized contents or just a list without any editorial preference so that each viewer will choose the ones most interested
- Choices of words are important, “click here” is still a web convention for urging viewers to click
- Action items should be put in a prominent position
- Tailor the layout for comfortable reading on a variety of devices, i.e. responsive design or put the most important part on the upper right corner
- Most important of all, use A/B split tests to confirm hyphothesis
Here Comes the Answers
Layout – Version A converted 11% better.
Emphasis on 1st Article – Version A increased clicks by 75% and online registrations by 400%.
Choice of Anchor Text – ‘Click Here for More Info’ got 97% more clicks, plus 16% more site page views
Perception – Version A converted 1617% better.