Hi, I am Edward Chung. I passed the PMI-ACP® exam with Proficient in all domains (“Proficient” is the best grade given by PMI indicating the domain knowledge is above the average level).
On this website, I try to summarize my PMI-ACP® Certification Exam process. It is hoped that my blog will be able to remove some roadblocks for fellow PMI-ACP® aspirants in the quest of the PMI-ACP® Certification (as ‘correct’ information on PMI-ACP® is difficult to find on the internet). This is my way of contributing to the Agile project management community.
I get PMI-ACP® certified (and PMP®, ITIL® Foundation…) while having to take care of my daily full-time job and my family with 3 kids. It is doable and I will share my experience and tips below.
Getting PMI-ACP® Certified in 2017
The requirements to achieve the PMI-ACP® are listed below:
- Working Experience in Traditional Projects (2000 hours – waived if PMP® certified) and Working Experience in Agile Projects (1500 hours)
- Obtain 21 Contact Hours of Agile Education
- I got the 21 Contact Hours using online exam prep course Agile PrepCast™ which is reasonably priced but excellent in quality. As a bonus, the Agile PrepCast™ also gives me 37 PMP® PDU for my PMP® re-certification.
- Fill the online application form and schedule the exam timeslot
- Study for the exam and take mock exams
- Write and pass the exam
Please refer to The Whats and Whys of the PMI-ACP® Certification to understand in greater details of the exam requirements, application process and more.
I get certified with around US$800, including all the courses and study materials. Please refer to PMI-ACP® Agile Certification Cost for details.
In the sections below, I will include all of my PMI-ACP® Exam prep study resources and exam tips. I will also share my experience at passing the PMI audit smoothly.
Free / Paid Exam Prep Resources
Below are the most useful exam resources I have used. Hope these would help fellow Aspirants to get fully prepared for the PMI-ACP® Exam:
- 21 Contact Hours using online exam prep course Agile PrepCast™ – I earned the 21 Contact Hours as well as got the exam prep through this online course which is downloadable!
- Agile PrepCast™ Discount Coupon Code – for instant saving off the retail price
- Recommended exam prep book: PMI-ACP® Exam Prep by Mike Griffiths – every Aspirant should have one in my opinion, simply essential.
- The PMI-ACP® Exam Syllabus in Details
- [FREE] My PMI﹣ACP Exam Study Notes
- 600+ FREE PMI-ACP® Sample Exam Questions
- note that the PMI-ACP® Exam now consists mostly of situational questions which would describe a situation and ask you to pick the best next course of action. Do be prepared to find two or more feasible choices but only one is the best. Some of the older mock exams may not be able to reflect this change.
Exam Training and Application
There is not an “official” way of getting the required Agile education (21 Contact Hours), it will help you a lot if you would choose an Agile course that ALSO helps you to prepare for and pass the exam – that’s why it is recommended to take an online PMI-ACP® training course by a PMI Registered Education Provider.
- How to Earn PMI-ACP® 21 Contact Hours Online?
- Filling the Application Form – Job Experience Description Sample
- How to Complete and Pass the PMI-ACP® Audit?
My Exam Study Notes
My study notes include not only what are describe in the exam syllabus of the PMI-ACP® Handbook. Since I am coming from the traditional waterfall project management world, several pieces of notes have been dedicated to describing the differences between Agile and water project management and the key concepts PMP® would need to know for the certification exam.
Study Notes on Agile Domain of Practices
- 7 Domains of Practices of Agile Project Management
- Domain I Agile Principles and Mindset (16% of exam questions)
- Domain II Value-driven Delivery (20% of exam questions)
- Domain III Stakeholder Engagement (17% of exam questions)
- Domain IV Team Performance (16% of exam questions)
- Domain V Adaptive Planning (12% of exam questions)
- Domain VI Problem Detection and Resolution (10% of exam questions)
Special Study Notes for PMP® / Traditional Project Managers
- Agile Project Management vs PMBOK® Guide
- What is Agile?
- Agile Manifesto
- Agile Fundamentals
- The Agile Team
- Project Justification
- Agile Planning
- Agile Project Execution
- Agile Coaching
- Agile Methodologies for PMI-ACP® Exam
How to Pass the PMI-ACP® Exam in First Attempt
Like any other exams, it takes dedication, practice and a little bit of luck to pass the PMI-ACP® Exam. The exam is not too easy nor difficult. If you have tried PMP® Exam before, this exam would feel a bit easier.
- Tips to Study for the PMI-ACP® Exam
- Tips for Answering PMI-ACP® Exam Questions
- After passing the exam…