If you are reading this article, it is highly likely that you are considering getting the PMP Certification. Maybe you are doing some researches about how to apply for the PMP Certification and pass the PMP Exam.
Hi, my name is Edward Chung. I passed the PMP certification examination on 7 Nov, 2013 based on the PMBOK Guide 5th Edition (i.e. the most current edition) in the 1st attempt with 'Proficient' (the best grade) in Initiation, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and 'Moderately Proficient' in Closing. And I can get PMP certified (and PMI-ACP certified, and ITIL Foundation certified ...) while taking care of my daily full-time job and my family with 3 kids.Early in my PMP Certifiaction journey, I have the following questions in mind:
- Do you find it is hard to find the time for PMP Bootcamp while you are having a full-time demanding job as a project management professional?
- Preparing for the PMP Exam is very expensive?
- People say that the PMP Certification is very difficult and the passing rate is low?
- Taking a 4 hour exam would be impossible?
- Will the PMP Exam syllabus be updated (i.e. PMBOK 6) any time soon?
After spending hundreds of hours searching the internet and reading numerous documentations...... fortunately I have found the answers to the above questions to be a resounding NO. Getting PMP Certified is Much Easier Than You Think!
Here, I try to summarize my PMP Exam process with a view to easing the path to PMP Certification for fellow PMP aspirants — as the information provided by PMI nor on the internet is clear enough. Time and cost saving tips will also be included to save you a fortune.
I got selected by PMI for the application audits for both my PMP and PMI-ACP Certification and thus I would be able to offer more insights into the PMP application process. I would be much grateful if my sharing here would be able to offer a little assistance to fellow PMP Aspirants.
Update: PMI has just announced that the PMBOK Guide 6th edition will be published in 3rd quarter of 2017 and the PMP Exam will only be updated in the 1st quarter of 2018. PMP Aspirants still have enough time to prepare their PMP Certification journey!
Update2 for PMP Aspirants in 2017: Perhaps you have been suggested doing "PMP Exam Brain Dump" as one of the top advices for your PMP Exam, sharings from recent PMP Exam takers tell us that doing PMP Exam Brain Dump during tutorial time is NOT ALLOWED now. Read here for details.
Wish you PMP success!
Edward Chung, PMP, PMI-ACP, ITIL Foundation, ZCE
How I Got PMP Certified While Taking Care of My Job and My Family
The following is the process for my PMP Certification, including how to meet the requirements of the PMP Exam:
- [Experience requirement] Get Project Management Experience (4500 hours for degree holders / 7500 hours for sub-degree holders)
- CAPM, which is another entry level project management certification offered by PMI, does not require working experience if you have got at least 23 hours of project management education. However CAPM is not recommended.
- [Education requirement] Obtain 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Education to qualify for PMP Exam
- I achieved the 35 Contact Hours using downloadable PMP Exam prep course PM PrepCast which is reasonably priced but excellent in quality.
- I also came across another excellent online PMP Exam prep course which will not only give you the 35 Contact Hours but also 3 Simulated Exams — though the lecture videos cannot be downloaded for offline viewing
- my comparision of these two online PMP Exam training courses
- Fill the online PMP Certification application form & schedule the PMP Exam
- Study for the PMP Exam... (you may refer to the PMP Exam study resources below)
- Take & pass the PMP Exam
Note: You may refer to The PMP Certification Process Overview for a detailed discussion on the PMP Certification requirements, application process & more.
Wonder how much does it cost to get PMP certified? For my case... the PMP Certification cost is around US$700 — including all the courses & study materials. Refer to PMP Certification Cost for details.
In the sections below, I will include all the PMP Exam prep study resources & exam tips that helped me to pass the PMP Exam in first attempt... I will also share my experience at passing the PMI audit for my PMP Certification application.
Recommended Resources for PMP Exam Preparation — To Pass PMP Exam with Minimal Cost
Some of the most useful PMP Certification resources to help me and other PMP Aspirants to fully prepare for the PMP Exam:
- My PMP Study Notes — available for FREE
- Best PMP Certification Prep Book / PMP Study Guide
- PMP Exam Prep Course — for 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Eduation & PMP Exam preparation
- Best FREE PMP Sample Exam Questions
PMP Exam Journey — My Experience Sharing
A Little About Myself
I am a full-stack web developer/designer/project manager working in the education sector in Hong Kong. I handle web development projects large & small, including major revamp exercises, one-page landing pages, online applications & systems. I have always wanted some sort of testimonial to my project management skills & PMP is the definite choice.
Below is the complete record of my PMP Certification journey... from the selection of PMP training course, application procedures (including the audit process) to finishing the PMP examination & beyond. I have also included a few cost saving tips on getting the 35 Contact Hours as well as PDUs to renew the PMP certification. Do read them to gain an in-depth knowledge of the PMP certification process.
PMP Training & Application
Perhaps the most obscure part for the PMP Certification require is the "35 Contact Hours". I spent tens of hours to search for the best PMP Exam prep course, & discovered that the best is NOT the most expensive. With online PMP Exam courses, you get both the 35 Contact Hours as well as the preparation for you to pass the PMP Exam in the first attempt!
- Is the PMP Certification for Me?
- PMP Certification Cost Consideration
- Decompose the 35 contact hours required for PMP Certification Exam at will
- [35 Contact Hours] Online PMP Training Course Review (PMBOK Guide 5th Edition)
- [Updated!] February 2017 PM PrepCast Coupon Discount Gift Certificate
- PMP Audit – an applicant’s first-hand experience
PMP Examination Prep - Study Notes, Sample Questions & Formula Guide
That's how I passed the PMP Exam: 1) took the PM PrepCast online PMP Exam prep course, 2) read PMP Study Guide by Andy Crowe & 3) practice hundreds of PMP Exam sample questions. I wrote down anything I learned during my PMP Exam journey in the following study notes in the style of "Cliff notes" — i.e. brief and to the point. I have also included many FREE PMP Exam sample questions which are on par with the difficulty of the real PMP Exam. Hope you will find these useful!
- An Introduction to PMBOK Guide 5th Edition: Knowledge Areas, Processes & Process Groups
- What is PMI-isms & why PMI-isms are important for the PMP Exam?
- PMP Study Notes 1 – Terms & Concepts
- PMP Study Notes 2/3 – Project Management Processes & Knowledge Areas
- PMP Study Notes 4 – Project Integration Management
- PMP Study Notes 5 – Project Scope Management
- PMP Study Notes 6 – Project Time Management
- PMP Study Notes 7 – Project Cost Management
- PMP Study Notes 8 – Project Quality Management
- PMP Study Notes 9 – Project Human Resource Management
- PMP Study Notes 10 – Project Communication Management
- PMP Study Notes 11 – Project Risk Management
- PMP Study Notes 12 – Project Procurement Management
- PMP Study Notes 13 – Project Stakeholder Management
- PMP Study Notes 14 – Professional & Social Responsibility
- PMP Calculation & Formulae Demystified
- List of FREE PMP Exam Questions (with Benchmarks to assess your PMP Exam readiness)
Taking the PMP Certification Examination
I confess I was quite nervous while taking the PMP Exam despite I have spent over a hundred hours on the PMP Exam prep study & I got around 80% in my PMP sample exam questions. Below are my experience in taking the PMP Exam:
- Schedule PMP Exam thru Prometric
- On the day of taking PMP Certification Exam in Hong Kong
- What would be expected after passing the PMP Exam?
- Lessons Learned: Remember these ITTOs for your PMP Exam
- More than 100 PMP Exam Lessons Learned
Earning PMP PDUs with Lowest Cost
Every PMP need to earn 60 PDU every 3 years in order to be able to renew the PMP Certificate. Earning PDU is not expensive if you know the following tips:
- Earn PDUs to maintain the PMP certification
- PMP PDU requirements are changing from 1 Dec 2015
- PDU for the PMP Claimed 2013-2016 Cycle
- [Free PMP PDU] Six Sigma White Belt Certification Program
- Claim PDU for Watching Recorded PMI Webinars
- Claim PDUs for Reading Books Related to Project Managment
- An Easy Way to Never Forget Earning Enough PDU for PMP Recertification
- Agile PrepCast Review – Best PMI-ACP Exam Prep plus 37 Category A PDUs
- Ways to Get Free PDU for PMP & PMI-ACP
- Claim PMP PDU with ITIL v3 Foundation Certification Exam Preparation
The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide
After receiving thousands of enquiries from PMP Aspirants all over the world, I decided to write a complete PMP Certification and Style Guide in everyday language in order to help PMP Aspirants to understand the PMP Exam Process more thoroughly.
- The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide (for PMBOK 5)
- The PMP Certification Process Overview
- How Much Time, Effort & Money is Required for the PMP Credential?
- How to Get the Required 35 Hours of PMP Training Cheap & Easy?
- PMP Study Resources: PMBOK, PMP Guide plus Practice Exams
- How to Correctly Fill the Online PMP Application Form?
- How to Pass the PMP Audit Process Smoothly?
- Schedule & Take the PMP Certification Exam
- Once You have Passed the PMP Certification Exam …
- What You should Know about PMP PDU?
Other PMP Certification Related Articles
As I have mentioned in my PMP® Exam Prep journey, I did not attend any PMP® bootcamps but get my PMP® 35 Contact Hours through online PMP® training courses. I have researched a vast number of online PMP® training courses providers during my search for quality online PMP® courses and...
Note: The PMBOK® Guide 6th Edition is currently a work in progress and the official launch date for the finalized PMBOK® Guide 6 is targeted at the 3rd quarter of 2017. The PMP® Exam will be ONLY updated in the first quarter of 2018 to be based on the PMBOK® Guide 6th...
PMI continuously updates the PMBOK® Guide in order to stay abreast with the latest developments in the project management industry. Following the release of PMBOK® Guide 5th edition in 2012, the editorial works of PMBOK® Guide 6th edition has already begun. Key Dates for PMBOK® Guide 6 and new PMP®...
PMI is now providing a FREE opportunity for PMI members to PMI PDU for your PMP® / PMI-ACP® re-certification in September 2016. Attendants of the PMI Organizational Agility Conference 2016 will be able to earn up to 6 PMP® / PMI-ACP® PDU for Category A (which has no upper limit). This Agility Conference is especially suit for...
Cornelius Fichtner, the seasoned PMP® Exam coach who is the first instructor to offer PMP® podcast-style Exam Prep courses on the internet to help PMP® Certification Aspirants to earn the required 35 Contact Hours of project management education to be eligible for the PMP® Exam, has published a family of...
Project Procurement Management is usually considered more difficult to most PMP® Certification Aspirants as many project managers do not have sufficient knowledge and experience in dealing with contracting issues — contract administration, contract types, contract closure, etc. This post will expound on the various types of contracts that are mentioned in...
In project risk management, according to different types of risk (positive or negative), the PMBOK® Guide recommends the following risk management strategies: For negative risks: Mitigate Avoid Transfer Accept For positive risks (i.e. opportunities): Enhance Exploit Share Accept Out of the four risk management strategies for opportunities, “enhance” and “exploit” are always not...
A very detailed lessons learned for the PMP® Exam from Srinivas Reddy Nalla who passed the exam with 4 proficient and 1 moderately proficient. Srinivas Reddy Nalla Passed the PMP® Exam Below is the sharing by Srinivas who have recently passed the new PMP® Exam: PMP® Exam Preparation I have taken my...
Quality is an crucial aspect for project success. Quality is both important for the deliverables (products) and the management of the project for the creation of the deliverables. This post will expound on the similarities and differences of Project Quality vs Product Quality and what PMP® Certification Aspirants would need...
In project time management, when using the Critical Path Method (CPM) to determine the project schedule, there are two types of float that are easily confused by many PMP® Certification Aspirants: Free Float and Total Float. This post will expound on the similarities and differences of Free Float vs Total Float and...
In project management, once the original plan does not proceed as expected or there are any changes in the external environments, the Project Management will need to investigate whether changes to the original plan is needed. This is where Fallback and Workaround would need to be implemented. However, PMP® Certification...
In Project Cost Management, project managers will have to deal with Cost Baseline and Cost Budget. However, these two terms are easily confused in everyday language. In the PMBOK® Guide, Cost Budget and Cost Baseline are different concepts that need to be distinguished clearly. This post will expound on the similarities...
Control charts are one of the Seven Basic Quality Tools used in Control Quality as described in PMBOK® Guide to give a visual depiction of the changes in the outcome of a process. Though in the ideal situation, a process will give the same results for each and every time it...
In Project Time Management, when the Project Management needs to deal with time delay (or the sudden request from management to deliver the deliverables sooner), there are two important methods to compress the schedule (schedule compression techniques) so as to catch up with the target dates while preserving the project scope: crashing...
There are always variances for the results from a process over time. The results are to be plotted on a control chart. The closer the results from each other, the smaller the variance (a variance of 0 indicates that all the results are identical — however this cannot be achieved in reality)....