PRINCE2 Foundation Certification Notes 17: Managing a Stage Boundary Process
Introduction: In PRINCE2®, there are 7 Processes that provide guidance on every stage of the project from initiation to completion. The “Managing a Stage Boundary Process” is the process involving the Project Board and the Project Manager to check and decide whether the project is still on track to meet project objectives at the current stage end and authorize the next stage.
Managing a Stage Boundary (SB) Process
Purpose and Objectives of Managing a Stage Boundary Process
- the Project Manager to provide the Project Board on the performance of the current stage
- the Project Board to approve the beginning of the next stage and confirm Continued Business Justification
- reviews the Project Initiation Documentation, Business Case, Project Plan, and Risk Register and update as necessary
- records lessons learned during the stage in Lessons Log
- prepares the Stage Plan for the next stage (if the stage performance exceeds the tolerance, an Exception Plan would be created instead to complete the current stage)
- authorization is in place for next stage to begin
Input(s), Activities and Output(s) of Managing a Stage Boundary Process
- Stage Plan
- Project Plan (in the Project Initiation Documentation)
- Exception Report
- Creates the Stage Plan for the next stage (with Product Descriptions, estimations, etc.)
- Updates the Project Plan and Business Case
- Produces the Stage End Report / Exception Plan
- Next Stage Plan / Exception Plan
- End Stage Report
- Business Case and Project Plan update
- Request to the Project Board for authorization of next stage/Exception Plan
Roles and Responsibilities for Managing a Stage Boundary Process
- Project Board: authorizes the next stage/Exception Plan
- Project Manager: creates the Management Products of the process (next Stage Plan, Exception Plan, End Stage Report) and updates relevant documentations
- Team Manager: assists Project Manager with planning/reporting
Conclusion: PRINCE2® Foundation Certification Study Notes
This PRINCE2® Foundation Certification Exam Study Notes for “Managing a Stage Boundary (SB) Process” is the process for the Project Board to evaluate the project performance and whether to continue the project with consideration for continued business justification. The Stage Plan for the next stage must be prepared by the Project Manager and obtain authorization before the next stage can begin.
Wish you PRINCE2® Foundation Exam success!
Please click here to download this post as a PDF file. Wish you success!