PRINCE2 Foundation Certification Notes 16: Managing Product Delivery Process
Important: The new PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner exams (PRINCE2® 2017) are available from 10 July 2017 (details of the changes here). Don’t worry, the changes are quite minor indeed as all the 7 principles, themes and processes remain the same. From now on until the end of 2017, candidates can take either the existing or updated English versions of the PRINCE2® exam. All PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner exams will be based on PRINCE2® 2017 from 1 January 2018. You can still seize the time to get certified based on the current version! Once you get PRINCE2® certified, your certification is still valid under PRINCE2® 2017 and onwards!
Introduction: In PRINCE2®, there are 7 Processes that provide guidance on every stage of the project from initiation to completion. The “Managing Product Delivery Process” is the process for managing and controlling the project work between the Project Manager and the Team Manager on the accepting, executing, and delivery of project products.
The “Managing Product Delivery process” can be considered the equivalent monitoring and controlling process for the Team Manager as the “Controlling a Stage process” to the Project Manager.
Managing Product Delivery (MP) Process
Purpose and Objectives of Managing Product Delivery Process
- involves the Project Manager for the controlling and managing the work package products responsible by the Team Manager
- the product needs to fulfil the requirements on accepting, executing, and delivery of products
- authorization is in place for Work Packages to begin
- have a common understanding of the requirements of the product as well as the efforts, time and cost involved
- completion of the Work Packages within tolerance
- the Project Manager is constantly updated on the Work Package status
Input(s), Activities and Output(s) of Managing Product Delivery Process
- Authorization for the Work Package by Project Manager
- Work Package information
- Creates Team Plan — detailed plan for the Work Package
- Gets the product developed and obtains approval from relevant stakeholders (maybe through demonstration as in Quality Review Meeting)
- Reporst progress to Project Manager through Checkpoint Reports
- Finally delivers the completed work to the Project Manager
- Checkpoint Reports — keep Project Manager updated on the Work Package progress
- Configuration Items Records (i.e. status change) and Quality Registers updates
- Approved Products — to be handed over according to Configuration Management Strategy document
- Completed Work Package — a notification from Team Manager to Project Manager
Roles and Responsibilities for Managing Product Delivery Process
- Project Manager: authorizes the work packages and review the Checkpoint Reports/Quality Register (in the “Controlling a Stage process”)
- Team Manager: carries out the development of the products and creates Checkpoint Reports
“Managing Product Delivery (MP) Process” is the process during which the Team Manager works delivering the project products for each work packages to the required requirements so that the work packages can be considered completed under the monitoring and controlling of Project Manager.
Wish you PRINCE2® Foundation Exam success!