The Complete Guide to Taking PMP Exam Online
Breaking News: In response to the widespread of COVID-19 virus, PMI has made a special arrangement to allow Aspirants to take the PMP Exam from the comfort of their home, i.e. through online proctored exam using their own computers via the internet!
On 16 Apr 2020. PMI announced on the official website that the PMP Exam is now available via online means in addition to the usual Pearson VUE exam centers. This essentially means that Aspirants can now study, prepare, schedule and take the PMP Exam purely online without the need to commute to the exam centers.
This is indeed a piece of great news for Aspirants living in cities/regions with a curfew/social distancing policies installed. There is nothing to stop Aspirants from getting PMP Certified now!
However, if you are living in Cuba, Iran, Sudan, North Korea, Mainland China, Japan, South Korea and Slovenia, sorry, the online PMP Exam is not an option for you for the time being.
Currently, PMI allows candidates sitting for the PMP, CAPM® and PMI-ACP® exams to take the exams online.
Points to Note for Taking PMP Exam Online
- a reasonably fast computer with a webcam
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Mac OS 10.13 and above
- Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 7 are NOT eligible
- 4 GB RAM or more
- Internet browser: Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer 11
- Webcam with a minimum resolution of 640×480 @ 10 fps
- Loudspeaker(s) and a microphone
- a reliable internet connection (a minimum speed of 1 Mbps down/up is required) – this is indeed the most critical requirement: if the network halts during the exam, the exam proctor may declare it void and you may need to re-take the exam…
- a quiet space you can use for at least 4 hours
- The PMP Certification achieved through the online exam means is identical to the one achieved through taking exams in an exam centre.
- The length of the PMP Exam testing period is still 4 hours.
- Candidates still need to make exam appointment through the Perason Vue website after having submitted the application for the PMP Certification and settled the exam fee.
- The PMP Certification fee is still the same for both taking tests in centers or at home/office through an online proctor.
- The exam questions and the level of difficulty are identical to the ones taking in exam centers.
- You still need to present valid identification documents (i.e. photo ids, credit cards, driving licenses, etc.) before taking the exam.
- PMP language aids are available.
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone during the exam.
- You are not allowed to talk with other people during the exam.
- You are not allowed to use the internet for browsing or chatting during the exam – it is locked down by the exam proctor.
- You are not allowed to put any study notes, textbooks or paper on the table.
- PMP Exam braindump is NOT allowed.
- You will get your exam results immediately after submitting the exam answers. If you get a pass, you will immediately become a PMP!
Major differences to taking the PMP Exam in exam centers?
- You still have a 10-minute break during the exam, but this is a mandatory break after the first 100 questions and you will need to review and submit answers to questions you have attempted before the break and are NOT allowed to make changes to the submitted answers after the break!
- You are not allowed to use a piece of white paper/whiteboard during the exam, instead you will be provided with an online whiteboard.
Getting PMP Certified Via Purely Online Means
- Getting the 35 Contact Hours via Online PMP Exam Prep Course
- Apply for the PMP Exam online and pay the PMP Exam fee
- Practise Mock PMP Exam questions online
- Schedule the PMP Exam timeslot online
- Take and pass the PMP Exam online
FAQ on Online PMP Exam
- Can I reschedule the PMP Exam to be taken online?
For those who have previously scheduled their PMP Exam at a local exam center, you can now reschedule the exam to be taken online with a live proctor free of charge!
- Can the online PMP Exam be taken anytime online?
Yes and no. Aspirants can take the PMP Exam 24/7 online but only with advance scheduling. Since the PMP Exam is a live proctored exam, an appointment needs to be made with an exam proctor in order to see you through the exam. And as each exam proctored can handle only a small number of exams at a particular time, the exam slots available anytime is limited. This means that while the online PMP Exam is available to be taken 24/7, it is NOT on-demand. Aspirants are advised to schedule the PMP Exam well in advance in order to fix the exam date. This would help tremendously in your exam preparation mentally.
- Any restrictions for candidates opting for online PMP Exams?
Candidates from Cuba, Iran, Sudan, North Korea, Mainland China, Japan, South Korea and Slovenia are NOT permitted to take the online PMP Exam. Instead, they still need to take the PMP Exam in exam centers. Hong Kong and Macau candidates are allowed to take online PMP Exam!
- Are PMP Exam language aids still available?
Sure! The online PMP Exam is identical to the exams taking in exam centers, only that an online whiteboard is provided instead of the usual blank sheets of paper/whiteboard provided in exam centers.
For more information, please refer to the PMI webpage:
Most Popular PMP Certification Exam Articles
- My Exam Prep Tips and Free Resources (I got 4P and 1 MP)
- How to Get 35 Contact Hours Fast and Easy?
- Detailed Comparision of online PMP Courses
- Over 1000+ FREE Quality Mock Exam / Practice Questions
- A FREE Guide to Formulas and Calculation (with explanation and sample questions)
- 47 Commonly Confused Terms with detailed explanation
Your website and detailed explanations + notes have been extremely helpful so THANK YOU for doing this. My online exam is in 5 days.. Yikes!!!
I was reading through some lessons learnt and experiences of those who have taken the online exam and they mention that during the exam check in they were asked to take a few pictures of the room and desk from the phone. Not sure how these are then shared with the proctor. If phones are not allowed then why have they been asked to use the phone for photos.
Wondering if you have any insights on this? A bit confused and want to be sure before the exam. The website instructions are vague on this as well
Hi Ritika, I am sure the exam Proctor will explain this clearly to you. Wish you exam success!
Thanks for your sharing. Its very useful. I would like to try online exam. Do you know. if HK is eligible for online exam?
Yes, you can take online PMP exam in HK. Wish you success!
it is allowed to use a calculator during the exam ? Maybe the one you have on your computer (in case of an online exam) or a physical one in the exam center?
You can only use the virtual calculator on the screen. Wish you PMP success!
What do you mean you can use your cell phone but not allowed to do a brain dump?
Why would you use cell phone unless for notes? Why are you not allowed to do brain dump? Does that mean it is better to take in center?
Sorry my bad, it’s a typo: “NOT” allowed. Thanks!
Thank you for the article as I am looking to schedule my PMP Online Exam but have hesitations since I won’t have scrap paper to write notes/brain dump.
Can you please elaborate on “PMP® Exam braindump is NOT allowed.”? Are they saying we cannot use the whiteboard to offload our mental notes? More information on that would be appreciated.
Actually PMP braindumps have not been allowed for several years from now. Yes I have heard that some exam centers do not forbid exam takers to write notes during the exam prep period. However, this is not the official rule indeed… Maybe we should be prepared to do the exam without braindumps.
Wish you PMP success!