Passing the ITIL Foundation Certification Exam
I passed with 95% correct. Here are the secrets of how and what I did to pass the ITIL v3 Foundation 2011 Exam.
I recently passed the ITIL® Foundation Exam with a score of 95% (38 correct answers out of 40 questions). In this post, I share my experience of studying and passing the ITIL® Foundation Exam, detailing the study plan, resources and materials used and the exam logistics. It is hoped that my sharing would be able to help fellow ITIL® candidates to get ITIL® Foundation certified.
You may wish to hear that getting ITIL® Foundation certified is NOT that difficult — with 2 months or less of learning, studying and doing practice exams, you will also be able to pass the ITIL® Foundation Exam with high scores even if you are working full-time and have family obligations. I have to work full-time while taking care of my kids during my ITIL® Exam preparation. Wish you ITIL® success!
ITIL® Foundation Study Materials and Resources
Since the ITIL® Foundation exam doesn’t have any pre-requisites in terms of experience and education, I originally wanted to minimize the expense through self-study by paying for the exam fee only. However, after searching through the internet, it was found that ITIL® Foundation exam could not be registered on the ITIL® official site, the exams are to be administrated by 3rd party exam administration bodies.
ITIL® Foundation Online Course + Official Exam Voucher
Most of the ITIL® exam administration bodies have agreements with the ITIL® training organization to only offer exams to students enrolled in their training courses only. This means that I could only purchase an ITIL® Foundation exam voucher in a bundled training+exam package — GreyCampus accreditated ITIL® v4 Foundation Online Course is my recommendation. After discount, it is possibly the lowest ITIL® Foundation Training + Exam Fee on market, this course package includes online video training, ITIL® Foundation practice exams, study aids and the ITIL® Foundation Exam voucher which allows you to take the ITIL® Exam on your own computer (you can also request to book an exam in a local exam centre). Read here for more details.
Aspirants can now get the latest ITIL® Foundation Training + Exam Fee for the price of
Upon the purchase of this course, you will almost have ALL YOU NEED to get the official ITIL® Foundation Certificate!
ITIL® Foundation Exam Prep Book
In order to play safe (who want to pay the ITIL® Foundation re-xxam fee?), I also purchased the ITIL® Foundation Exam Study Guide by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris which helps me to understand the ITIL® Exam topics in a structured way and pass the ITIL® exam in first try. I highly recommend this ITIL® Foundation Study Guide for ITIL® Exam candidates.
ITIL® Foundation Sample Exams
On the official website of ITIL®, there is one sample exam paper available for download for free. And if you have purchase the ITIL® Foundation Exam Study Guide by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris, you can find this sample ITIL® exam (Sample Paper A) together with another exam (Sample Paper B) near the end of the book. Also, in the free downloadable online resources included in the purchase of the book, you can also find two additional mock exams in a simulated environment. There are also more ITIL® sample exams included in the GreyCampus ITIL® Foundation Course. These practice exams should be sufficient to help you get familiar with the ITIL® Exam question pattern and pass the real ITIL® Exam.
ITIL® Foundation Exam Strategy
- Answer the questions according to what you have read in the ITIL® study guides, not based on your common sense. After all, the questions and answers are prepared by ITIL®, you can only score point if you follow what ITIL® tells you. It is perfectly okay if you are able to tweak the ITIL® best practices to suit your organization to achieve great success. But save that for your organization, when attending the ITIL® exam, do as what ITIL® suggest you to do.
- Don’t under-estimate the difficulty of the ITIL® Foundation exam. Don’t take others words that the exam is easy. You have to be well prepared in order to guarantee a pass. It’s true that many of the questions are quite direct, asking only for definitions. However, you may also encounter some more tricky questions. Learn all the required materials and prepare for it just like any professional exam.
- Learn the official definitions for terms/processes. The ITIL® Foundation exam focuses on one’s understanding and awareness of the ITIL® knowledge. Selecting the definitions of terms would surely be a popular question type you would encounter on the real ITIL® exam.
- Read the questions carefully. The exam time is more than enough, many students can finish the exam in under 30 minutes. Don’t rush through the questions in case you would miss an important word like ‘not’, ‘no’, etc.
- Schedule the exam day just after you have finished all the study courses/materials. Strike iron while it is hot. Don’t wait, don’t procrastinate. Take the ITIL® Foundation exam while you have the best memory of the ITIL® materials.
Difficulty of the ITIL® Foundation Exam
On the whole, the difficulty of the ITIL® Foundation exam depends very much on which 40 questions you have been given for your exam. Some candidates claimed that the exam is extremely easy, achieving nearly 100% of correct answers. I got over 90% in the official Sample Paper A and B for the first try and got 95% in the real ITIL® Foundation exam despite the fact that I got some more difficult questions in the real ITIL® Exam paper.
It is safe to say that the score of the sample papers do reflect your readiness for the exam. If you get over 80% in the sample papers, you can ready for the real ITIL® 4 Foundation exam.
But never under-estimate the difficulty of any exams, including ITIL® v3 Foundation. Fortunately, since it requires only 65% correct answers to pass the exam, there is still a comfortable margin for us to pass with ease.
Is ITIL® Foundation Exam Worthwhile?
The ITIL® contains the knowledge helping an IT management staff to manage IT service to deliver maximum values to the organization. If you have assumed a management role in a IT department, this is the must-have certification for you. The ITIL® breaks down the many practices you might have been practicing and provides you with the theoretical and structural background, helping you to improve the IT service management of your organization. The best part of ITIL® is that one can adopt and adapt the best practices suggested in the volumes to suit the individual needs of each organization.
Obtaining a pass in ITIL® Foundation Exam will require one to study seriously for around 2 weeks. And as the ITIL® Foundation Certificate will never expire and organizations around the world are adopting ITIL®, this certification exam is ideal for IT management staff. If you are a PMP®, you can even claim PDU for the number of hours you have taken to study ITIL® Foundation (of course, the ultimate amount of PDU depends on how many PMI approves, usually around 20 to 30 PDUs).
I sincerely encourage you to go for the ITIL® Foundation Certification if that interests you. Use my free ITIL® study notes if you find them useful.
Wish you ITIL® success!