Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course Review
Bottom Line: The Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course (Online Classroom Flexi-Pass) is ideal for IT project managers who would like to understand and apply Agile methodologies (in particular Scrum) in software development projects in an interactive way as the course is delivered with mixed modes (16 hours of instructor-led training and 7 hours of self-paced e-learning). Students of this Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course will be able to get certified in the Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification.
Plus, if you are PMP® or PMI-ACP® Certified, you will be able to earn 16 PDUs for your re-certification.
First Thing First: What is Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification?
The Agile Scrum Master Certification (ASM) is developed by Simplilearn (one of the largest online/classroom certification education provider) and EXIN (one of the largest and trusted certification examination administration organization) in response to the increasing demand for Agile project management professional in today’s software development and other projects. Students of the Agile Scrum Master Certification (ASM) course will get in-depth knowledge in Agile and Scrum. Upon taking the Agile Scrum Master Certification (ASM) training course by a Registered Education Provider and clearing the web proctored exam successfully, aspirants will be awarded the Agile Scrum Master certification from EXIN. There are no prerequisites for taking the ASM Certification course and exam. Though ASM Certification is currently less known as an Agile Certification, it is expected the acceptance of the Certification will pick up fast.
Agile certification aspirants will often compare this ASM Certification with CSM Certification (which is offered by the Scrum Alliance). Below are the major benefits of the ASM Certification course over traditional CSM training courses:
- The CSM (Certified Scrum Master) certification focuses only on Scrum while the ASM includes Scrum plus training in other Agile methodologies/knowledge.
- The Agile Scrum Master Certification (ASM) course was developed with the needs of geographically-dispersed teams in mind to cater for teams that are virtually co-located — ASM courses can be delivered online while CSM courses must be delivered in classrooms.
- Virtually anyone taking the CSM training will be able to get certified. However, the bar for passing the ASM certification is higher which makes the ASM more valuable for industry professionals.
- The CSM training and certification is more expensive than the ASM.
- However, CSM Certification is generally more recognized as an Agile Certification / a qualification requirement it is a more established Certification in Agile project management.
The Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master Certification Training Course includes many components:
- 16 hours of online instructor-led training (eligible for 16 PMP®/PMI-ACP® PDUs) — students are allowed to join over 10+ batches of courses for 90 days
- 7 hours of eLearning content for 180 days
- 3 live Scrum games
- 7 scenario-based Scrum games
- 2 live projects and case studies
- Project 1: BigBucks Café, a leading chain of premium coffee shops, wants you to use weather data to regulate and manage their daily operations. As a Scrum Master, the project requires you to resolve the backlog.
- Project 2: The world’s largest life insurance company, LeViva, wants to launch an app to serve its customers, and they would like to use the weather forecast. As a Scrum Master, the project requires you to resolve the backlog.
- 2 mock Agile Scrum Master Certification Exams
- Agile Scrum Master Certification Exam fee is included
The online instructor-led training is live online training conducted by a Scrum Master certified trainer with more than 15 years of training and experience in the domain. Students are coming from around the globe from many different professions to allow students to learn from both the trainer and other students on Agile and Scrum implementations.
- Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course is delivered purely online, there is no need for the students to fly to a particular location to take the courses.
- The Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course includes 16 hours of interactive online instructor-led training by a seasoned instructors. Students will be able to ask questions and express their opinions during each online class and be attended immediately by the instructor. Students will also be able to learn from the experience and knowledge of each other.
- In addition to Scrum, students will be able to learn Agile and Scrum values & concepts and get exposed to other Agile frameworks and methodologies so that they will be able to tailor their Agile methodologies to best suit the particular project environment.
- Students will also be equipped with practical knowledge in the application of Agile methodologies so that they will be able to implement Agile/Scrum right away — e.g. producing the different Scrum artifacts including the product backlog, sprint backlog, finished deliverables and definition of done.
- Many real-life examples are used throughout the courses to illustrate the application of Agile in real-life projects.
- 2 mock Agile Scrum Master Certification Exams are included to help aspirants to be well prepared for the real Agile Scrum Master Certification Exam. The Agile Scrum Master course includes everything students need to build the requisite skills and expertise to pass the certification exam on the first attempt.
- Students will be able to join up to 10+ batches of the online instructor-led courses for 90 days of their enrolment in the course, meaning that if you cannot make it for a class, you will be able to take another class with the same topic. Also, if you do not fully understand a topic, you will be allowed to re-visit the topics as many times as you like during the 90 days. Remember, this is not only about the e-learning but also the instructor-led course!
- The ASM course is currently the only training on the market that supplements training sessions with eLearning content that’s aligned to the course.
- Game-based learning scenarios are included in the course to make the learning more fun and enjoyable. The instructor-led course also include gamification elements — in the course I have taken, the instructor gave out free access to other Certification courses to the participants who are most actively involved during the class discussion.
- Just like any other instructor-led courses, there are pre-defined schedules and course time. The course time are more suited for individual in the United States or India. But I have to stay up until 3 a.m. to attend the lessons on Saturdays : (
- The ASM is currently not widely recognized by the industry.
If you are looking for a course that will teach you Agile and Scrum knowledge in a fun and interactive way, the Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course is one of its kind currently available in the market. Many IT project managers, including me, benefits a lot from the course.