Why every PMP Aspirants should join as PMI member?
One of the top question I receive from PMP® Certification Aspirants is that “Is it required to join PMI membership in order to apply for PMP® Certification?”. The answer is definitely NO. PMP® Certification Aspirants can apply to take the PMP® Exam once they have fulfilled the education and working experience requirements, irrespective of whether they are PMI members.
But I would add that:
No sensible guy will not join PMI as members for their PMP® Certification!
Why? Read on to know my rationale.
Why Joining PMI Membership when Preparing for PMP® Certification?
It is a no-brainer to join PMI membership as what you get is far more than what you pay.
- Joining PMI membership would cost PMP® Certification Aspirants US$129 plus US$10 application fee. The PMI membership lasts for 1 year which would cost additional US$129 annually to renew.
- PMP® Certification Cost Savings
- PMI provides a member-only fee for PMP® Certification Application. For non-members, the PMP® Exam fee is US$555. The PMP® Exam fee of US$405 is the PMP® Certification Exam fee for the computer based examination for membership holders. The difference of US$150 is enough to offset the first year of the PMI membership fee + application fee (i.e. US$150 > US$139).
- This reason alone justifies the PMI Membership fee. You may stop reading now and apply for the PMI Membership 😛 — read on if you want to know what other benefits you can enjoy by being a PMI member.
- Free Download of the latest PMBOK® Guide e-book
- One of the top recommended study resource for PMP® Certification Aspirants is the PMBOK® Guide.
- Being a PMI member, you will be able to download a PDF version of the PMBOK® Guide from pmi.org for FREE. You are also allowed to print a hard copy of the PMBOK® Guide if needed.
- Other PMI Certification Cost Savings
- In addition to the PMP® Certification Cost Savings, PMI has also set a lower member-only fee level for other PMI Certifications.
- As an example, for the PMI-ACP® Certification, PMI Members will enjoy the member-only fee of US$435 (instead of the usual US$495).
- Other Project Management Resources
- PMI also publishes a number of professional guides and magazines for its members to stay abreast of the latest development in the field of project management.
- There are also countless project management tools and document templates (e.g. risk register, PM plan, etc.) available for FREE download which are not only useful for PMP® exam prep but also daily work.
- Earn All PMP® PDU For FREE
- Being a PMI Member, you can enjoy the “Premium Membership” at projectmanagement.com (the current annual membership fee for Premium membership at projectmanagement.com is US$249!).
- PMP® Certification holders can gain access to (almost) countless recorded and live webinars for PMP® Certification Renewal. One can get enough PDUs for PMP® Renewal even within the first year of the PMI membership. This alone will save PMP® holders endless troubles and hassles for PMP® re-certification.
- PMI also holds several virtual conferences for members around the year for PDU opportunities, which are FREE for members only.
- Join Local PMI Chapters
- At the time of joining PMI membership, PMP® Certification Aspirants can also opt to join their local PMI chapters by paying the local chapter members’ fee. Though this is optional only (one can select to join PMI only by saving a few bucks), it is highly recommended to join local PMI Chapters as they will usually provide PMP® Exam Prep courses or study groups which are invaluable to PMP® Certification Aspirants.
- PMP® Certification Aspirants may also be able to meet other PMP® Certification Aspirants through local chapter meetings to tackle the PMP® Exam together.
- Saving on PMI Publications
- PMI members can save up to 20% on PMI Store purchases (e.g. books and multimedia, e-learning courses).
Below is a table comparing the cost of getting PMP® Certified with and without PMI membership:
|PMI Member||Non-PMI Member|
|PMI Membership Fee
w/w application fee
|$129 + $10||$0|
|PMP® Exam Fee||$405||$555|
|PMI Resources||1 year access||No access|
|PMBOK® Guide||Free PDF Download||~$40|
Why is it recommended to renew PMI membership after getting PMP® Certified?
I do renew my PMI membership continuously after my PMP® Certification preparation for the following reasons:
- Discounts in PMI Certification Fees — if you intend to get PMI-ACP® and other PMI Certification certified like me
- Access to FREE PDU opportunities — I get all my PDU for PMP® and PMI-ACP® renewal by being a PMI member
- Networking, volunteering and career development opportunities
Follow here to learn my rationale for renewing PMI membership in more details.
Please click here to download this post as a PDF file. Wish you success!