Why every PMP Aspirants should join as PMI member?
One of the top questions I received from Aspirants is that “Is it required to join PMI membership in order to apply for PMP® Certification?”. The answer is definitely NO. Aspirants can apply to take the exam once they have fulfilled the education and working experience requirements, irrespective of whether they are PMI members.
But I would add that:
No sensible guy will not join PMI as members for their PMP® Certification!
Why? Read on to know my rationale.
Why Joining PMI Membership?
It is a no-brainer to join PMI membership as what you get is far more than what you have to pay.
- Joining PMI membership would cost Aspirants US$129 plus US$10 application fee. The PMI membership lasts for 1 year which would cost additional US$129 annually to renew.
- PMP® Exam Fee Savings
- PMI provides a member-only fee for PMP® Application. Members can enjoy the exam fee of US$405 (for the computer based examination; for non-members, the exam fee is US$555). The difference of US$150 is enough to offset the first year of the PMI membership fee + application fee (i.e. US$150 > US$139).
- This reason alone justifies the PMI Membership fee. You may stop reading now and apply for the PMI Membership 😛 — read on if you want to know what other benefits you can enjoy by being a PMI member.
- Free Download of the latest PMBOK® Guide e-book
- One of the top recommended study resource for Aspirants is the PMBOK® Guide.
- Being a PMI member, you will be able to download a PDF version of the PMBOK® Guide from pmi.org for FREE. You are also allowed to print a hard copy of the PMBOK® Guide if needed.
- Other PMI Certification Cost Savings
- In addition to the savings for the PMP® Exam, PMI has also set a lower member-only fee level for other PMI Certifications.
- As an example, for the PMI-ACP® Certification, PMI Members will enjoy the member-only fee of US$435 (instead of the usual US$495).
- Other Project Management Resources
- PMI also publishes a number of professional guides and magazines for its members to stay abreast of the latest development in the field of project management.
- There are also countless project management tools and document templates (e.g. risk register, PM plan, etc.) available for FREE download which are not only useful for exam prep but also daily work.
- Earn All PDU For FREE
- Being a PMI Member, you can enjoy the “Premium Membership” at projectmanagement.com (the current annual membership fee for Premium membership at projectmanagement.com is US$249!).
- PMP® Certification holders can gain access to (almost) countless recorded and live webinars for Certification Renewal. One can get enough PDUs for renewal even within the first year of the PMI membership. This alone will save certification holders endless troubles and hassles for re-certification.
- PMI also holds several virtual conferences for members around the year for PDU opportunities, which are FREE for members only.
- Join Local PMI Chapters
- At the time of joining PMI membership, Aspirants can also opt to join their local PMI chapters by paying the local chapter members’ fee. Though this is optional only (one can select to join PMI only by saving a few bucks), it is highly recommended to join local PMI Chapters as they will usually provide Exam Prep courses or study groups which are invaluable to Aspirants.
- Aspirants may also be able to meet other Aspirants through local chapter meetings to tackle the Exam together.
- Saving on PMI Publications
- PMI members can save up to 20% on PMI Store purchases (e.g. books and multimedia, e-learning courses).
Below is a table comparing the cost of getting PMP® Certified with and without PMI membership:
|PMI Member||Non-PMI Member|
|PMI Membership Fee
w/w application fee
|$129 + $10||$0|
|PMP® Exam Fee||$405||$555|
|PMI Resources||1 year access||No access|
|PMBOK® Guide||Free PDF Download||~$40|
Why is it recommended to renew PMI membership after getting PMP® Certified?
Even after getting certified, I do renew my PMI membership continuously for the following reasons:
- Discounts in PMI Certification Fees — if you intend to get PMI-ACP® and other PMI Certification certified like me
- Access to FREE PDU opportunities — I get all my PDU for renewal by being a PMI member
- Networking, volunteering and career development opportunities
Click here to learn my rationale for renewing PMI membership in more details.