Step-by-step PMP Certification Guide 2017 (for PMBOK Guide 5th Ed.)
~ All you need to know about the Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification of the Project Management Institute (PMI)
This Complete PMP® Certification and Study Guide is dedicated to the many thousands of PMP® aspirants visiting my blog in the search of the best way to achieve PMP® success.
Your feedback and questions have prompted me to prepare this special PMP® study guide to help all project managers aiming to gain the initials “PMP®” after their titles easier.
It is my humble wish to provide all PMP® aspirants with the most detailed online PMP® certification guide to familiarize themselves with the PMP® application and certification processes and procedures and how to prepare and study well for the actual Project Management Professional (PMP®) exam by the Project Management Institute (PMI) with the ultimate aim to get the Project Management Professional Certification credential.
This PMP® Guide is the fruit of many hours of labours — trying to condense huge amount of information into digestible bits.
It is my gift to all PMP® Certification Aspirants. Wish you PMP® success!
Introduction to this PMP® Guide
Learning all the stuff required for the PMP® exam is already a daunting tasks, let alone understanding all the intricacies of the PMP® certification process as well as handling all the administrative tasks such as the fearful PMP® audit.
It is no wonder why PMP® is often considered one of the most difficult professional certification to achieve.
But this also means that the PMP® certification is one of the most valuable certification owing to the “rigidity” of the certification process.
The information presented by the PMP® Handbook published by the PMI is clear and concise…… yet, reading the PMP® Handbook alone would not lead you navigate easily through the various processes to PMP® success. As an example, what can be counted as “contact hours” or “working experiences”?
Fear not, this PMP® Guide attempts to answer all your questions during your PMP® application and study.
This Complete PMP® Certification and Study Guide will guide you through the PMI PMP® Certification process — from initially understanding what the Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification is, successfully completing the PMP® application form (including satisfying the PMP® audit requirements), studying and preparing the actual PMP® examination…… to collecting PDUs to maintain your PMP® credential after you have gotten your PMP® certificate.
This guide will try to answer all the PMP® application and study related questions you might have to free you more time to concentrate on your exam study.
About the Author
This guide is written by Edward Chung, PMP®, PMI-ACP®, ITIL® Foundation.
After going through the PMP® certification process all alone by googling and wasting dozens of hours…… I couldn’t help by thinking that if I could get PMP® certified, the first thing I would do was to write a detailed account of my PMP® experience to help fellow PMP® aspirants to save more time to get to the real study.
This PMP® guide is the second step to re-organize the PMP® process in a more systematic way after answering hundreds of PMP® aspirants with their queries.
Contents of this PMP® Study Guide
- The PMP® Certification Process Overview
- How Much Time, Effort and Money is Required for the PMP® Credential?
- How to Get the Required 35 Hours of PMP® Training Cheap and Easy?
- PMP® Study Resources: PMBOK® Guide, PMP® Guide plus Practice Exams
- How to Correctly Fill the Online PMP® Application Form?
- How to Pass the PMP® Audit Process Smoothly?
- Schedule and Take the PMP® Certification Exam
- Once You have Passed the PMP® Exam …
- What You should Know about PMP® PDU?
These 9 sections are meant to help you navigate through first the PMP® application process and then the PMP® study and exam.
Reading them 1 by 1 and carrying out related actions in sequence will guide you through the PMP® certification process with ease.
After communicating with hundreds of PMP® aspirants, it is found that the most pressing questions they had is not know where to begin the PMP® certification process. Is it to begin with a complete study of the PMBOK® Guide? Or to get the 35 Contact Hours of Project Management? Or to fill in the online PMP® application form?
The following outlines the the recommended sequence leading to PMP® Certification:
- Don’t read the PMBOK® Guide on your own, get the 35 Contact Hours of Project Management from a course that help you prepare for the PMP® exam (usually called PMP® prep course), there are lots of choice ranging from face-to-face classroom lecture, online courses and podcast courses.
- Purchase/borrow all the required PMP® study materials including the PMBOK® Guide, at least one PMP® reference book and some practice/mock exams
- Apply online for the PMP® Certification Exam. You will need to describe your working experience in PMI’s terms and the PMP® prep course you have taken will help you finish the application form easily.
- Fix a date for your PMP® exam after you have received confirmation from PMI or passed the audit, if applicable.
- Study hard for the PMP® exam with your PMP® study materials. Working on as many as practice exams as possible.
- Pass the PMP® exam.
- Begin earning PMP® PDUs for your 3-year recertification cycle.
Following the above sequence will allow you to go through the PMP® certification process in the most logical and easiest way.
Get an overview of the PMP® certification process with the help of an infographic.
Please click here to download this post as a PDF file. Wish you success!