Most Important PMP Tip: Begin Your PMP Certification Journey Now
Begin your PMP Exam preparation now to reach your dream soon!
The other day a PMP® Aspirant asked me what the single most important PMP® Tip I would offer to fellow PMP® Certification Aspirants. I replied without hesitation that the most important PMP® Tip is to “Begin Your PMP® Certification Journey Now”! No matter where you are in your project management education or career, it is never too early to begin the PMP® journey to your dream of getting PMP® certified.
I must confess that the first time I have seriously considered getting PMP® Certification was more than 2 years before I actually begin my PMP® Certification journey. I hear you ask: “more than 2 years? why so long?” Yes, I thought I was not ready, I thought I could not afford the time and money to spend on PMP® preparation, I thought I was not qualified……
In hindsight, I would just lament that I have wasted considerable time for my PMP® journey — I should have started early… right away when I first thought of getting PMP® Certified. Below I will tell you why “NOW” is the best time to begin your PMP® journey!
Why is it More Difficult to Get PMP® Certification Later
- The PMP® Exam is changing in 2018 (probably in January)
- New exam syllabus, new PMBOK® Guide, new study books, new training courses, new mock exam questions…… new things to panic about.
- It is often recommended to take professional exams that is in the 2nd year or more of running as PMP® Certification Aspirants can learn from the experience of early exam takers. Also the study guides, books and resources are more readily available at that time.
- Implication: It is getting more difficult to pass the PMP® Exam later.
- The PMP® Exam Fee is expected to increase
- Just like other professional exams (e.g. the ITIL® Foundation Exam Fee sees an increase of 25-80% year over year), the PMP® Exam Fee will see an increase after the introduction of a new syllabus/version.
- Implication: It is getting more expensive to get PMP® Certified later.
- The PMP® Exam training courses are getting more expensive year by year
- According to experience, the increase in PMP® Exam training course fees (whether online training or classroom training) is around 10% or above year by year as a result of inflation and new resources are being added.
- Implication: It is getting more expensive to get PMP® Certified later.
- You are getting busier and busier
- As you progress through the career ladder, you are tasked with more and more responsibilities that would make finding the time to study PMP® Certification Exam more difficult. Some PMP® Certification Aspirants may need to take a whole week’s leave before the PMP® Exam to be well prepared.
- Also, you may be getting married or having children (if not yet) as you get older. You are obliged to take care of your family needs and obligations. And this is my own story and that’s why I took a PMP® online training course instead of studying in a classroom.
- Implication: It is getting more difficult to find the time to prepare for PMP® Certification later.
Begin Your PMP® Certification Journey Now
As most PMP® aspirants would agree, the single most important obstacle to PMP® Certification is FEAR — fear that one would fail the PMP® Exam, fear that one cannot make it for the PMP® exam preparation, fear that it is too expensive to get PMP® Certified…
Just like many other PMP® Certification Aspirants, I have the following questions before I ever began my journey:
- “There are too many things to learn and remember for the PMP® Exam”
- “The PMBOK® Guide is too difficult and dull”
- “It takes hundreds of hours to get prepared for the PMP® Exam”
- “Just that if I am too busy with work and I cannot finish my preparation, my time and money would be wasted”
- “I just cannot afford the time”
- “PMP® bootcamps are too expensive and the US$1000+ lesson fee is out of my budget, not to mention the exam application fee and study materials”
These are very real worries. That are fears about the process. When dealing with doubts, the best action is always “no action”. But one must be prepared to face the consequence — you will be nowhere in your PMP® Certification journey. Changes are hard, new lessons are hard, but the hardest part is to initiate the change. Once you have determined to get PMP® certified, the process is NOT THAT DIFFICULT — I could get PMP® certified with around 2 months’ preparation while taking care of my daily full-time job and my family with 3 kids. I can attest that the PMP® Exam is not too difficult but reasonable (after all if PMP® Exam is easy, it will not be valuable any more). I spent much less time on the preparation than I had originally thought (I have found out PMP® bootcamp alternatives — PMP® online courses that PMP® Certification Aspirants can watch/listen to anywhere they prefer without having to take 5 days’ leave from work and family! Online PMP® courses are perfectly accepted by PMI as the source of 35 Contact Hours Certificate. The online courses have made the PMBOK® Guide easy to read and they are just around US$200 or below!)
Another type of fear is fear about the outcome. I think most PMP® Certification Aspirants would worry about the following:
- “What if my PMP® application get rejected?”
- “What if I cannot pass the PMP® audit?”
- “What if I fail the PMP® Exam the first time? the second time? and the third time? — I wasted my time and money”
Yes, for every exam or move in life there are just 2 results — success or failure. There are chances of getter a failure in the PMP® Exam. However, with the right efforts and preparation, almost many PMP® Certification Aspirants I know can pass the PMP® Exam in the first or second try. And you can too. That’s why reading the lessons learned / PMP® Exam journey of PMP® Exam takers is very important. I have read hundreds of PMP® lessons learned before I have decided to begin my PMP® journey.
Eventually I passed the PMP® Exam with 4 Proficient and 1 Moderately Proficient with just around US$800 (including PMP® Exam fee) — refer to my PMP® Certification cost here. I can do it and you can TOO.
Conclusion: Now It’s Time for Your PMP® Certification
As I have gone through the pains of fear and procrastinated continually, I understand your doubts at the very beginning of your PMP® journey. That’s why I build up this website to help fellow PMP® Certification Aspirants to overcome the single most important obstacle to PMP® success by offering all the important information on PMP® journey — from application, preparation to taking and passing the PMP® Exam. The journey to PMP® Certification is documented in details here so that PMP® Certification Aspirants would be able to understand what it takes to get certified. If you have considered PMP® Certification, now it is time to get started. You are recommended to read my PMP® Certification journey here as the very first step.
And according to unofficial statistics of PMP® training courses (whether online or in person), the top reason for the PMP® Certification Aspirants not getting PMP® certified is NOT failing the exam but procrastinating. (If you have read that some PMP® training institutes stating that the passing rate for the PMP® Exam of their students is over 90%, read carefully. They ONLY include those who have made it through the course to writing the PMP® Exam. Those who dropped out of the training course / have not yet applied for the PMP® Exam owing to procrastination is NOT counted. The actually passing rate is lower than 50% if those are included!)
There is yet another important question that prevented me from beginning my exam preparation is that: “will the PMP® Exam syllabus be updated any time soon?” Lucky, PMI has made it clear that the PMP® Exam will NOT be updated by the 1st quarter of 2018 — still more than 1 year from now. Considering it takes around 2 months for the PMP® journey, PMP® Certification Aspirants still have plenty of time even if they need a bit longer time to get PMP® Certified.
And if you still have doubts, I will be more than happy to answer your queries. Please feel free to leave your question in the comment section below and I will answer your questions asap.
Wish you PMP® success!