PMP Certification Cost for PMP Exam, Training and Exam Prep Materials
The cost of PMP Certification does not just include the PMP exam fee. The PMP training and prep materials (books and practice exams) should be considered.
Introduction: This is the second part of the preparation for the PMP® Examination Application. This post will give you an overview of the PMP® certification cost including the PMP® exam fee, study materials and training costs. You can read more about my PMP® certification journey here.
Perhaps you are worrying about the fact that the PMP® Exam is adopting a NEW syllabus from 12 Jan 2016?
Rest assured that the PMP® Exam changes are considered to be minor and the level of difficulty is about the same. PMP® aspirants are safe to begin the PMP® Exam prep journey now.
Lessons learned from recent PMP® candidates taking the NEW PMP® Exam 2016 have attested to this.
PMP® Certification Cost Consideration
Getting the PMP® Certification is certainly not cheap, the PMP® Exam fee alone is US$405 (for PMI members) / US$555 (for non-members) and you still need to pay for PMP® Exam prep courses / books / sample practice exams, etc. The total cost of PMP® Certification can be very expensive. Yet with the following cost-saving tips on PMP®, you would be able to achieve PMP® success with deep savings off the PMP® certification costs:
1. Join PMI as a member (US$139)
Joining the PMI is not a requirement for the PMP® examination, yet the benefits you get far outweigh the cost for the first year of membership fee (note: joining the local chapter is not required). For the PMP® examination fee alone, the saving for PMI member (US$150 less) outweigh the first year membership fee. Being a member, you can also gain access to many commercially available project management books, including several for the preparation of PMP® examination. You can also download a free copy of the PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition which is a must for the PMP® examination. After you have been PMP® certified, you will also be able to gain the required PMP® PDU (in Category A) for FREE. The PMI membership is a real bargain.
The renewal fee for PMI membership is US$129 per year.
2. PMP® Certification Exam Fee (US$405)
The PMP® Exam fee indicated above (US$405) is the PMP® Certification exam fee for the computer based examination for membership holders. For non-members, the exam fee is US$555. The difference of US$150 is enough to pay the first year of the PMI membership fee. That’s why the PMI Membership is a must!
PMI allows PMP® aspirants to take up to 3 PMP® Exams in one year, and each exam retake (PMP® re-examination or re-exam) costs an additional US$275 (for PMI members) / US$375 (for non-members).
Joining PMI as a member is a no-brainer for PMP® aspirants!
3. PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition (Free)
The PMBOK® Guide is the official reference book for the PMP® Exam (yet the PMBOK Guide is NOT the PMP® Exam syllabus). It contains content that would not be found on other reference books and would appear in the real PMP® exam. Currently, the PMBOK® Guide is being sold for US$47.98.
Though some PMP®s would say they have never read the PMBOK® Guide and yet they could pass the PMP® exam, you will feel more prepared if you have read the PMBOK® Guide twice or more in your preparation for the PMP® exam. Good news for PMI members, the PMBOK® Guide can be downloaded FREE from the PMI website.
4. Project Management Training Course (up to $1000+) – for the 35 Contact Hours / PMP® Exam preparation
This is the lion’s share of the PMP® Certification cost. Some PMP® bootcamps charge you over $1000 for 5-day workshops. But if you are comfortable with distance learning, gaining the required 35 contact hours of project management education online is far more cheaper than attending face-to-face lectures like PMP® bootcamps.
- The PM PrepCast™ PMP® Exam prep video course was my choice for online PMP® exam prep which costs a fraction of the PMP® bootcamps (US$179.99 only). The PM PrepCast™ is produced by Cornelius Fichtner, PMP®, CSM. It allows you to download the lessons as video files to your mobile devices or computer. There is not an expiry date for your files. In other words, you own the PMP® training lessons forever. And you can take the PMP® lessons on your mobile devices whenever you go without even the need of an internet connection! It helped me pass the PMP® Exam with 4 proficient and 1 moderately proficient. I would definitely recommend you to consider the PM PrepCast™ for your PMP® exam prep course.
- You may also consider the PM PrepCast™ and PM Exam Simulator bundle (a.k.a. PM PrepCast™ Elite) which offers you both the PM PrepCast™ Exam Prep video course (a.k.a. PM PrepCast™ Standard) and the PM Exam Simulator (with 1800+ PMP® practice questions) at a discounted price. Click here for more information.
- Another recommended choice is the GreyCampus online PMP® Exam prep course which is slightly cheaper (US$150 in April 2016) than PM PrepCast™. In addition to the 35 contact hours, it also include 3 PMP® simulated mock exams as well as other study resources (e.g. downloadable lecture powerpoint files, e-Flashcards, etc.). However, you will need to watch the course lectures on your computer or mobile devices that are connected to the internet (i.e. no offline viewing).
5. PMP® Exam Reference Book (Free – US$99+)
Edwel Programs provides a free reference book (be careful though as it contains quite a number of typos). I purchased also the The PMP® Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Fifth Edition which is specially written to help you pass the exam and only the exam. Unlike other books on the market which contains tons of project management knowledge, this book by Andy Crowe contains all the necessary knowledge helping you preparing for the PMP® exam and no more. It is an easy read. If you would like an effective exam prep book, this is THE ONE.
6. PMP® Sample Practice Exams (Free – US$99+)
There are lots of free online PMP® prep exam out there, I found some of the free PMP® sample exam were very useful in helping me pass the PMP® exam (list of FREE quality PMP® sample practice exams).
Besides, being a member of PMI, you can also gain access to 1000+ questions in the eReads & Reference section: PMP® Exam Prep: Questions, Answers & Explanations, 2013 Edition by Christopher Scordo (retail value: $43.98). The questions are a bit more difficult than the real PMP® exam, if you get a pass in these exams, you are well-prepared.
Update: after the recent revamp of the PMI website, you will no longer be able to find the eReads & Reference section for the FREE PMP® Certification books and exam prep questions. The good news is the section is still there! Just read this post to learn how to get the FREE PMP® books/ PMP® practice exam questions.
Should your application get audited, you need to send your audit experience validation forms to your supervisors/previous supervisors and the whole package to PMI. This kind of fees is usually relatively minute.
And you may need to travel to the PMP® Exam centre or live in a hotel room adjacent to the exam centre, etc. These costs vary greatly for different people and are not included in our calculation of the PMP® Certification cost.
How much is the PMP® Certification?
The table below will give you an analogous estimation of the lowest PMP® certification cost:
|No.||PMP® Certification Cost Items||Cost(US$)|
|1||PMI Membership Fee||US$139|
|2||Project Management Training through self-study||~US$200|
|3||PMP® Exam Fee||US$405|
|Total PMP® Certification Cost:||~US$744|
The combination of these three items is the minimal cost for the PMP® exam success! Hope you have gotten a better understanding of the PMP® Certification cost.
Please click here to download this post as a PDF file. Wish you success!