PMP Exam Cost at a glance: Exam Fee, Training and Exam Prep Materials
The cost of PMP Certification does not just include the PMP exam fee. The PMP training and prep materials (books and practice exams) should be considered.
Updated in 2019: Getting PMP® Exam certified is not just about paying the several hundred PMP® Exam fee. This post on PMP® Exam fee will give you an overview of the actual PMP® certification cost involved, including the official PMP® exam fee, study materials and training costs.
You can read more about my PMP® certification journey as well as tips and tricks for the PMP® Exam here.
- 1 PMP® Certification Cost Consideration (Note: PMP® Cost is NOT just the PMP® Exam Fee only!)
- 2 PMP® Exam Costs with Cost Saving Tips
- 2.1 1. Join PMI as a paid member (US$139)
- 2.2 2. PMP® Certification Exam Fee (US$405)
- 2.3 3. Latest Edition of the PMBOK® Guide (Free for PMI Members)
- 2.4 4. Project Management Training Course (up to $1000+) – for the 35 Contact Hours and PMP® Exam preparation
- 2.5 5. PMP® Exam Prep Reference Book (Free to US$99+)
- 2.6 6. PMP® Practice Exams / Mock Exam Questions (Free to US$139+)
- 2.7 7. Miscellaneous
- 3 How much is the PMP® Certification?
PMP® Certification Cost Consideration (Note: PMP® Cost is NOT just the PMP® Exam Fee only!)
Getting PMP® certified is certainly not cheap, the PMP® Exam fee (the computer based) alone is US$405 (for PMI members) / US$555 (for non-members) as documented in the PMP® Handbook:
|Exam Type||Exam Cost|
|Computer Based Testing (CBT)||US$405 (for PMI members at the time of making payment)|
|US$555 (for non PMI members)|
|Paper Based Testing (PBT)||US$250 (for PMI members at the time of making payment)|
|US$400 (for non PMI members)|
But that’s NOT the only cost you will have to pay: you will need also to pay for PMP® Exam prep courses / books / sample practice exams, etc. The total cost of PMP® Certification can be very expensive and unexpected (that’s my personal feeling after making up my mind to get the PMP® title)!
My plan for getting PMP® certified was on hold when I learnt that the required “35 Contact Hours” might cost me over US$1000 dollars for the face to face lectures (it was much later when I learnt that I could get the “35 Contact Hours” through online courses for the price of under US$200 that I could finally began my own PMP® journey…)
PMP® Exam Costs with Cost Saving Tips
It is hoped that with the following cost-saving tips on PMP®, you would be able to achieve PMP® success without breaking your bank. Links to free PMP® resources are also included.
1. Join PMI as a paid member (US$139)
Joining PMI as a member is a MUST for every Aspirants (thought PMI does not require Aspirants to be PMI members). Read on to understand why.
Joining PMI is not a requirement for the PMP® examination, yet the benefits you get far outweigh the cost for the first year of membership fee. The annual membership fee plus the 1st time registration fee currently is US$139. And you have the option of joining your local PMI Chapters with a fee that is different for different Chapters (note: joining the local chapter is not required — just pay the local chapter fee if you would like to join chapter activities; otherwise, just remove it from your membership fee).
For the PMP® examination fee alone, the saving for being a PMI member (US$150 less) outweighs the first year membership fee!
Being a member, you can download a free copy of the latest edition PMBOK® Guide (and other standards/guides published by PMI) which is a must for the PMP® examination. Plus, after you have been PMP® certified, you will also be able to gain the required PMP® PDU (in education) for FREE through watching the webinars and joining the annual online conferences for members only.
I hate to say this but the PMI membership is a real bargain indeed.
(Note: the renewal fee for PMI membership is US$129 per year. I renew my PMI membership every year since the day of getting PMP® Certified. The PMI membership fee is my only expenditure for getting education PDUs. I can get discounts on my PMP® renewal fee and PMI-ACP® Exam fee. And more.)
2. PMP® Certification Exam Fee (US$405)
The PMP® Exam Fee indicated above (US$405) is the official PMP® Certification exam fee for the computer based examination (CPT) for membership holders at Prometric exam centres.
For non-members, the exam fee is US$555. The difference of US$150 is enough to pay the first year of the PMI membership fee. That’s why the PMI Membership is a must!
PMI allows PMP® aspirants to take up to 3 PMP® Exams in the one-year eligibility period, and each exam retake (PMP® re-examination or re-exam) costs an additional PMP® Exam fee of US$275 (for PMI members) / US$375 (for non-members).
After considering the differential PMP® Exam Fees for members and non-members, joining PMI as a member is a no-brainer for PMP® aspirants!
3. Latest Edition of the PMBOK® Guide (Free for PMI Members)
The PMBOK® Guide is the official reference book for the PMP® Exam (yet it is very important for PMP® Aspirant to understand that the PMBOK® Guide is NOT the PMP® Exam syllabus).
Nearly every Aspirants will read the PMBOK® Guide once or more during their PMP® study. The PMBOK® Guide contains content that would not be found on other exam reference books and would appear in the real PMP® exam.
Currently, the PMBOK® Guide is being sold for US$48.78 on Amazon (the kindle version).
Though some PMP®s would say they have never read the PMBOK® Guide and yet they could pass the PMP® exam, you will feel more prepared and confident if you have read the PMBOK® Guide once or more in your preparation for the PMP® exam (I did read it twice which had helped me to pass the PMP® Exam in first attempt with 4 Above Targets).
Good news for PMI members: the PMBOK® Guide can be downloaded FREE from the PMI website. You are also allowed to print a copy of the PMBOK® Guide from the digital copy for your own reference!
4. Project Management Training Course (up to $1000+) – for the 35 Contact Hours and PMP® Exam preparation
This is the lion’s share of the total PMP® Certification cost.
Some PMP® bootcamps charge you over $1000 for 5-day workshops. But if you are comfortable with distance learning, gaining the required 35 contact hours of project management education ONLINE is far more cheaper than attending face-to-face lectures like PMP® bootcamps.
- The PM PrepCast™ PMP® Exam prep video course was my choice for online PMP® exam prep which costs a fraction of the PMP® bootcamps (to be exact US$199). The PM PrepCast™ is produced by Cornelius Fichtner, PMP®, CSM. It allows you to download the lessons as video files to your mobile devices or computer. There is not an expiry date for your files. In other words, you own the PMP® training lessons forever. And you can take the PMP® lessons on your mobile devices whenever you go without even the need of an internet connection! It helped me pass the PMP® Exam with 4 proficient and 1 moderately proficient. I would definitely recommend you to consider the PM PrepCast™ for your PMP® exam prep course.
- You may also consider the PM PrepCast™ and PM Exam Simulator bundle (a.k.a. PM PrepCast™ Elite) which offers you both the PM PrepCast™ Exam Prep video course (a.k.a. PM PrepCast™ Standard) and the PM Exam Simulator (with 1800+ PMP® practice questions) at a discounted price. Click here for more information.
- Another recommended choice is the GreyCampus online PMP® Exam prep course which is slightly cheaper (US$150) than PM PrepCast™. In addition to the 35 contact hours, it also include 3 PMP® simulated mock exams as well as other study resources (e.g. downloadable lecture powerpoint files, e-Flashcards, etc.). However, you will need to watch the course lectures on your computer or mobile devices that are connected to the internet (i.e. no offline viewing).
The above mentioned PMP® Exam Prep courses will give you the required 35 Contact Hours Certificate for your PMP® application. Plus you will get in-depth introduction and discussion on the PMP® Exam syllabus and subject matters to help you prepared for writing the actual exam. Even if you have already got the 35 Contact Hours from your former education (e.g. University courses), you are highly advised to take these Exam Prep courses if budget allows.
5. PMP® Exam Prep Reference Book (Free to US$99+)
I purchased also the The PMP® Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try which is specially written to help you pass the exam and only the exam. Unlike other books on the market which contains tons of project management knowledge, this book by Andy Crowe contains all the necessary knowledge helping you preparing for the PMP® exam and no more. It is an easy read.
If you would like just to read an exam prep book, this is my recommendation.
I have already uploaded my PMP® study resources onto this website for fellow Aspirants (for FREE):
- 47+ PMP® Commonly Confused Terms with Explanations and Examples – these 47+ PMP® term pairs are those that are frequently confused by Aspirants. Just enough details have been included in the explanations with simple daily examples to illustrate their differences and similarities so as to help Aspirants to differentiate between the terms.
- PMP® Glossary Flashcard from A to Z – an interactive online flashcard including most important PMP® terms/concepts and their explanations. A great way to check your understanding of PMBOK® Guide.
- PMP® Formulas for PMP® Maths Questions – a consolidated list of all PMP® formulas that are required for the exam with concise explanations on their meanings/applications.
- PMP® EVM (Earned Value Management) Formulas Explained in Simple Terms – according to survey of Aspirants, one of the most headache problems for them is the EVM questions. This article aims to explain all the EVM formulas in simple terms with examples included to illustrate their application.
- 20+ PMP® EVM Mock Questions with Explanations – practice makes perfect. After learning all the PMP® EVM formulas, it is highly desirable to tackle some sample questions to test your understanding of the subject matter. These 20+ mock questions with detailed explanations cover all the EVM formulas.
6. PMP® Practice Exams / Mock Exam Questions (Free to US$139+)
There are lots of free online PMP® prep exam out there, I found some of the free PMP® sample exam were very useful in helping me pass the PMP® exam (list of FREE quality PMP® sample practice exams). These free exams a of very high quality.
Taking PMP® sample questions is a crucial part of your PMP® preparation as you can understand your exam readiness through the results of your mock exams. Plus, many mock exams offer very similar computer interface to the real PMP® Exam that gives Aspirants the invaluable practice using the CBT system.
Remember: practice makes perfect, especially the case for trying to pass the PMP® Exam in first try!
Should your PMP® application get audited, you need to send your audit experience validation forms to your supervisors/previous supervisors and the whole package to PMI. This kind of fees is usually relatively minute.
And you may need to travel to the PMP® Exam centre or live in a hotel room adjacent to the exam centre, etc. These costs vary greatly for different people and are not included in our calculation of the PMP® Certification cost.
How much is the PMP® Certification?
The table below will give you an analogous estimation of the lowest PMP® certification cost:
|No.||PMP® Certification Cost Items||Cost(US$)|
|1||PMI Membership Fee||US$139|
|2||Project Management Online Training Course for self-study||~US$200|
|3||PMP® Exam Fee||US$405|
|Total PMP® Certification Cost:||~US$744|
The combination of these three items is the minimal cost for the PMP® exam success! But it is highly recommended to purchase also mock PMP® exam questions banks / simulators in order to be best prepared. Saving this US$100+ only to have to pay the PMP® re-examination fee (which is twice more expensive) is not a wise move, isn’t it?
Hope you have gotten a better understanding of the PMP® Certification cost.
Wish you PMP® success!
Note: it is tempting to think that taking the Paper Based Testing of PMP® as it is far much cheaper than the Computer Based Testing but you have to fulfil the following conditions before you are allowed a seat at the PBT Centres:
- you are living at least 300 km from the nearest Prometric centre; OR
- your employer applies to administer the PMP® exam to their employees in a batch; AND
- there are at least 10 candidates applying to sit the PMP® Exam at the time and date of your chosen PBT Centre
So for the rest of us, just calculate the PMP® cost with the Computer Based Testing fee.