If you are reading this article, it is highly likely that you are considering getting the PMP Certification. Maybe you are doing some researches about how to apply for the PMP Certification and pass the PMP Exam.
Hi, my name is Edward Chung. I passed the PMP certification examination on 7 Nov, 2013 based on the PMBOK Guide 5th Edition (i.e. the most current edition) in the 1st attempt with 'Proficient' (the best grade) in Initiation, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and 'Moderately Proficient' in Closing. And I can get PMP certified (and PMI-ACP certified, and ITIL Foundation certified ...) while taking care of my daily full-time job and my family with 3 kids.Early in my PMP Certifiaction journey, I have the following questions in mind:
- Do you find it is hard to find the time for PMP Bootcamp while you are having a full-time demanding job as a project management professional?
- Preparing for the PMP Exam is very expensive?
- People say that the PMP Certification is very difficult and the passing rate is low?
- Taking a 4 hour exam would be impossible?
- Will the PMP Exam syllabus be updated (i.e. PMBOK 6) any time soon?
After spending hundreds of hours searching the internet and reading numerous documentations...... fortunately I have found the answers to the above questions to be a resounding NO. Getting PMP Certified is Much Easier Than You Think!
Here, I try to summarize my PMP Exam process with a view to easing the path to PMP Certification for fellow PMP aspirants — as the information provided by PMI nor on the internet is clear enough. Time and cost saving tips will also be included to save you a fortune.
I got selected by PMI for the application audits for both my PMP and PMI-ACP Certification and thus I would be able to offer more insights into the PMP application process. I would be much grateful if my sharing here would be able to offer a little assistance to fellow PMP Aspirants.
Update: PMI has just announced that the PMBOK Guide 6th edition will be published in 3rd quarter of 2017 and the PMP Exam will only be updated in the 1st quarter of 2018. PMP Aspirants still have enough time to prepare their PMP Certification journey!
Wish you PMP success!
Edward Chung, PMP, PMI-ACP, ITIL Foundation, ZCE
How I Got PMP Certified While Taking Care of My Job and My Family
The following is the process for my PMP Certification, including how to meet the requirements of the PMP Exam:
- [Experience requirement] Get Project Management Experience (4500 hours for degree holders / 7500 hours for sub-degree holders)
- CAPM, which is another entry level project management certification offered by PMI, does not require working experience if you have got at least 23 hours of project management education. However CAPM is not recommended.
- [Education requirement] Obtain 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Education to qualify for PMP Exam
- I achieved the 35 Contact Hours using downloadable PMP Exam prep course PM PrepCast which is reasonably priced but excellent in quality.
- I also came across another excellent online PMP Exam prep course which will not only give you the 35 Contact Hours but also 3 Simulated Exams — though the lecture videos cannot be downloaded for offline viewing
- my comparision of these two online PMP Exam training courses
- Fill the online PMP Certification application form & schedule the PMP Exam
- Study for the PMP Exam... (you may refer to the PMP Exam study resources below)
- Take & pass the PMP Exam
Note: You may refer to The PMP Certification Process Overview for a detailed discussion on the PMP Certification requirements, application process & more.
Wonder how much does it cost to get PMP certified? For my case... the PMP Certification cost is around US$700 — including all the courses & study materials. Refer to PMP Certification Cost for details.
In the sections below, I will include all the PMP Exam prep study resources & exam tips that helped me to pass the PMP Exam in first attempt... I will also share my experience at passing the PMI audit for my PMP Certification application.
Recommended Resources for PMP Exam Preparation — To Pass PMP Exam with Minimal Cost
Some of the most useful PMP Certification resources to help me and other PMP Aspirants to fully prepare for the PMP Exam:
- My PMP Study Notes — available for FREE
- Best PMP Certification Prep Book / PMP Study Guide
- PMP Exam Prep Course — for 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Eduation & PMP Exam preparation
- Best FREE PMP Sample Exam Questions
PMP Exam Journey — My Experience Sharing
A Little About Myself
I am a full-stack web developer/designer/project manager working in the education sector in Hong Kong. I handle web development projects large & small, including major revamp exercises, one-page landing pages, online applications & systems. I have always wanted some sort of testimonial to my project management skills & PMP is the definite choice.
Below is the complete record of my PMP Certification journey... from the selection of PMP training course, application procedures (including the audit process) to finishing the PMP examination & beyond. I have also included a few cost saving tips on getting the 35 Contact Hours as well as PDUs to renew the PMP certification. Do read them to gain an in-depth knowledge of the PMP certification process.
PMP Training & Application
Perhaps the most obscure part for the PMP Certification require is the "35 Contact Hours". I spent tens of hours to search for the best PMP Exam prep course, & discovered that the best is NOT the most expensive. With online PMP Exam courses, you get both the 35 Contact Hours as well as the preparation for you to pass the PMP Exam in the first attempt!
- Is the PMP Certification for Me?
- PMP Certification Cost Consideration
- Decompose the 35 contact hours required for PMP Certification Exam at will
- [35 Contact Hours] Online PMP Training Course Review (PMBOK Guide 5th Edition)
- [Updated!] October 2016 PM PrepCast Coupon Discount Gift Certificate
- PMP Audit – an applicant’s first-hand experience
PMP Examination Prep - Study Notes, Sample Questions & Formula Guide
That's how I passed the PMP Exam: 1) took the PM PrepCast online PMP Exam prep course, 2) read PMP Study Guide by Andy Crowe & 3) practice hundreds of PMP Exam sample questions. I wrote down anything I learned during my PMP Exam journey in the following study notes. I have also included many FREE PMP Exam sample questions which are on par with the difficulty of the real PMP Exam. Hope you will find these useful!
- An Introduction to PMBOK Guide 5th Edition: Knowledge Areas, Processes & Process Groups
- What is PMI-isms & why PMI-isms are important for the PMP Exam?
- PMP Study Notes 1 – Terms & Concepts
- PMP Study Notes 2/3 – Project Management Processes & Knowledge Areas
- PMP Study Notes 4 – Project Integration Management
- PMP Study Notes 5 – Project Scope Management
- PMP Study Notes 6 – Project Time Management
- PMP Study Notes 7 – Project Cost Management
- PMP Study Notes 8 – Project Quality Management
- PMP Study Notes 9 – Project Human Resource Management
- PMP Study Notes 10 – Project Communication Management
- PMP Study Notes 11 – Project Risk Management
- PMP Study Notes 12 – Project Procurement Management
- PMP Study Notes 13 – Project Stakeholder Management
- PMP Study Notes 14 – Professional & Social Responsibility
- PMP Calculation & Formulae Demystified
- List of FREE PMP Exam Questions (with Benchmarks to assess your PMP Exam readiness)
Taking the PMP Certification Examination
I confess I was quite nervous while taking the PMP Exam despite I have spent over a hundred hours on the PMP Exam prep study & I got around 80% in my PMP sample exam questions. Below are my experience in taking the PMP Exam:
- Schedule PMP Exam thru Prometric
- On the day of taking PMP Certification Exam in Hong Kong
- What would be expected after passing the PMP Exam?
- Lessons Learned: Remember these ITTOs for your PMP Exam
- More than 100 PMP Exam Lessons Learned
Earning PMP PDUs with Lowest Cost
Every PMP need to earn 60 PDU every 3 years in order to be able to renew the PMP Certificate. Earning PDU is not expensive if you know the following tips:
- Earn PDUs to maintain the PMP certification
- PMP PDU requirements are changing from 1 Dec 2015
- PDU for the PMP Claimed 2013-2016 Cycle
- [Free PMP PDU] Six Sigma White Belt Certification Program
- Claim PDU for Watching Recorded PMI Webinars
- Claim PDUs for Reading Books Related to Project Managment
- An Easy Way to Never Forget Earning Enough PDU for PMP Recertification
- Agile PrepCast Review – Best PMI-ACP Exam Prep plus 37 Category A PDUs
- Ways to Get Free PDU for PMP & PMI-ACP
- Claim PMP PDU with ITIL v3 Foundation Certification Exam Preparation
The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide
After receiving thousands of enquiries from PMP Aspirants all over the world, I decided to write a complete PMP Certification and Style Guide in everyday language in order to help PMP Aspirants to understand the PMP Exam Process more thoroughly.
- The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide (for PMBOK 5)
- The PMP Certification Process Overview
- How Much Time, Effort & Money is Required for the PMP Credential?
- How to Get the Required 35 Hours of PMP Training Cheap & Easy?
- PMP Study Resources: PMBOK, PMP Guide plus Practice Exams
- How to Correctly Fill the Online PMP Application Form?
- How to Pass the PMP Audit Process Smoothly?
- Schedule & Take the PMP Certification Exam
- Once You have Passed the PMP Certification Exam …
- What You should Know about PMP PDU?
Other PMP Certification Related Articles
One of the vital element for project management success is to control changes as in the Perform Integrated Change Control process, otherwise scope creep and missed requirements may result. Change management in projects involve Change Control and Configuration Control. These two terms are often used interchangeably in daily work, however, PMBOK® Guide® Guide has...
The PMBOK® Guide® Guide mentions three roles carrying project management responsibilities, namely Project Manager, Project Expeditor and Project Coordinator. While every PMP®® Aspirant should be quite familiar with the role of Project Manager (after all, many of the PMP®® Certification Aspirants are Project Managers themselves), the role of Project Expeditor and...
With the success of the PMI Talent Management Conference 2015, PMI is going to provide yet another FREE opportunity for PMP®® & PMI-ACP®® holders to earn PDU for PMP®®/PMI-ACP®® re-certification for PMI members. The PMI Talent Management Conference 2016 would be held on 6 December 2016. All PMI members can register and attend...
In everyday terms, both project requirements and project scope are usually used interchangeably to refer to what needs to be done for the project. However, these two terms are not identical and should be studied in more details in order to really understand their definitions from the view of PMI...
Similar to the article discussing the differences and similarities between Project Statement of Work and Business Case, this article will discuss the differences and similarities between Project Statement of Work and Project Charter. In short, the Project Statement of Work is an input used to create the Project Charter and both of them...
Both Project Statement of Work and Business Case are key inputs for the development of Project Charter and they contains vital information to assist the senior management, project sponsor and project manager to determine whether the project is feasible in terms of expected results yet the exact information contained in...
An acronym is a word or name formed as an abbreviation from the initial components in a phrase or a word, usually individual letters and sometimes syllables … ~ Wikipedia Important PMP®® Abbreviations / Acronyms for the PMP®® Exam In the A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide®...
PMI Project Management Professional (PMP®®) is a prestige certification for practitioners in the project management profession. Yet, is it true that only project managers are eligible for applying and taking the PMP®® Exam? The fact that PMI does not name the certification as Project Manager Professional (PMP®®) but Project Management Professional (PMP®®)...
Still trying to find enough PDUs for your PMP®® / PMI-ACP®® re-certification for FREE? The free event: PMI Business Analysis Virtual Conference 2016 will earn you up to 6 PMP®® / PMI-ACP®® PDU for Category A (which has no upper limit). Exact details on which domains of the PMI Talent Triangle to which...
“Create WBS” and “Decomposition” are often used together in the PMBOK® Guide® Guide to describe the process of understanding project deliverables for time and scope management. Though they are often used together, these two terms actually carry different meanings and should not be confused. This article will help PMP®® Certification Aspirants to differentiate between Create...
RACI is a popular type of RAM (Responsibility Assignment Matrix) for the project human resource management to ensure each project activities are held responsible and accountable by individuals of the project team. However, “responsible” and “accountable” of the RACI chart are often mixed up by PMP®® Certification Aspirants. This article will try...
Bottom Line: The Simplilearn Agile Scrum Master (ASM) Certification Course (Online Classroom Flexi-Pass) is ideal for IT project managers who would like to understand and apply Agile methodologies (in particular Scrum) in software development projects in an interactive way as the course is delivered with mixed modes (16 hours of instructor-led training...
In the Project Time Management knowledge area of the PMP®® Exam syllabus, there are at least two types of calendars: project calendar and resource calendar. There are some similarities and differences between these two types of calendars. This article will try to distinguish between Project Calendar and Resource Calendar according to the...
In the Project Time Management knowledge area of the PMP®® Exam syllabus, Resource Leveling and Resource Smoothing are two of the most important Resource Optimization Techniques for project schedule development to allow most effective allocation of resources to allow the project to be completed as fast as possible. However, given the...
In the PMP®® Exam, one of the most fundamental questions a PMP®® Aspirant will be asked is to distinguish between the type of organization with reference to project management and organizational structure. Organizations can be broadly divided into three general types: Functional, Projectized and Matrix (midway between Functional and Projectized). Knowledge about the...