If you are reading this article, it is highly likely that you are considering getting the PMP Certification. Maybe you are doing some researches about how to apply for the PMP Certification and pass the PMP Exam.
Hi, my name is Edward Chung. I passed the PMP certification examination on 7 Nov, 2013 based on the PMBOK Guide 5th Edition (i.e. the most current edition) in the 1st attempt with 'Proficient' (the best grade) in Initiation, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and 'Moderately Proficient' in Closing. And I can get PMP certified (and PMI-ACP certified, and ITIL Foundation certified ...) while taking care of my daily full-time job and my family with 3 kids.Early in my PMP Certifiaction journey, I have the following questions in mind:
- Do you find it is hard to find the time for PMP Bootcamp while you are having a full-time demanding job as a project management professional?
- Preparing for the PMP Exam is very expensive?
- People say that the PMP Certification is very difficult and the passing rate is low?
- Taking a 4 hour exam would be impossible?
After spending hundreds of hours searching the internet and reading numerous documentations...... fortunately I have found the answers to the above questions to be a resounding NO. Getting PMP Certified is Much Easier Than You Think!
Here, I try to summarize my PMP Exam process with a view to easing the path to PMP Certification for fellow PMP aspirants — as the information provided by PMI nor on the internet is clear enough. Time and cost saving tips will also be included to save you a fortune.
I got selected by PMI for the application audits for both my PMP and PMI-ACP Certification and thus I would be able to offer more insights into the PMP application process. I would be much grateful if my sharing here would be able to offer a little assistance to fellow PMP Aspirants.
Wish you PMP success!
Edward Chung, PMP, PMI-ACP, ITIL Foundation, ZCE
How I Got PMP Certified While Taking Care of My Job and My Family
The following is the process for my PMP Certification, including how to meet the requirements of the PMP Exam:
- [Experience requirement] Get Project Management Experience (4500 hours for degree holders / 7500 hours for sub-degree holders)
- CAPM, which is another entry level project management certification offered by PMI, does not require working experience if you have got at least 23 hours of project management education. However CAPM is not recommended.
- [Education requirement] Obtain 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Education to qualify for PMP Exam
- I achieved the 35 Contact Hours using downloadable PMP Exam prep course PM PrepCast which is reasonably priced but excellent in quality.
- I also came across another excellent online PMP Exam prep course which will not only give you the 35 Contact Hours but also 3 Simulated Exams for US$150 only (Limited Offer in Apr only) — though the lecture videos cannot be downloaded for offline viewing
- my comparision of these two online PMP Exam training courses
- Fill the online PMP Certification application form & schedule the PMP Exam
- Study for the PMP Exam... (you may refer to the PMP Exam study resources below)
- Take & pass the PMP Exam
Note: You may refer to The PMP Certification Process Overview for a detailed discussion on the PMP Certification requirements, application process & more.
Wonder how much does it cost to get PMP certified? For my case... the PMP Certification cost is around US$700 — including all the courses & study materials. Refer to PMP Certification Cost for details.
In the sections below, I will include all the PMP Exam prep study resources & exam tips that helped me to pass the PMP Exam in first attempt... I will also share my experience at passing the PMI audit for my PMP Certification application.
Recommended Resources for PMP Exam Preparation — To Pass PMP Exam with Minimal Cost
Some of the most useful PMP Certification resources to help me and other PMP Aspirants to fully prepare for the PMP Exam:
- My PMP Study Notes — available for FREE
- Best PMP Certification Prep Book / PMP Study Guide
- PMP Exam Prep Course — for 35 Contact Hours of Project Management Eduation & PMP Exam preparation
- Best FREE PMP Sample Exam Questions
PMP Exam Journey — My Experience Sharing
A Little About Myself
I am a full-stack web developer/designer/project manager working in the education sector in Hong Kong. I handle web development projects large & small, including major revamp exercises, one-page landing pages, online applications & systems. I have always wanted some sort of testimonial to my project management skills & PMP is the definite choice.
Below is the complete record of my PMP Certification journey... from the selection of PMP training course, application procedures (including the audit process) to finishing the PMP examination & beyond. I have also included a few cost saving tips on getting the 35 Contact Hours as well as PDUs to renew the PMP certification. Do read them to gain an in-depth knowledge of the PMP certification process.
PMP Training & Application
Perhaps the most obscure part for the PMP Certification require is the "35 Contact Hours". I spent tens of hours to search for the best PMP Exam prep course, & discovered that the best is NOT the most expensive. With online PMP Exam courses, you get both the 35 Contact Hours as well as the preparation for you to pass the PMP Exam in the first attempt!
- Is the PMP Certification for Me?
- PMP Certification Cost Consideration
- Decompose the 35 contact hours required for PMP Certification Exam at will
- [35 Contact Hours] Online PMP Training Course Review (PMBOK Guide 5th Edition)
- [Updated!] May 2016 PM PrepCast Coupon Discount Gift Certificate
- PMP Audit – an applicant’s first-hand experience
PMP Examination Prep - Study Notes, Sample Questions & Formula Guide
That's how I passed the PMP Exam: 1) took the PM PrepCast online PMP Exam prep course, 2) read PMP Study Guide by Andy Crowe & 3) practice hundreds of PMP Exam sample questions. I wrote down anything I learned during my PMP Exam journey in the following study notes. I have also included many FREE PMP Exam sample questions which are on par with the difficulty of the real PMP Exam. Hope you will find these useful!
- An Introduction to PMBOK Guide 5th Edition: Knowledge Areas, Processes & Process Groups
- What is PMI-isms & why PMI-isms are important for the PMP Exam?
- PMP Study Notes 1 – Terms & Concepts
- PMP Study Notes 2/3 – Project Management Processes & Knowledge Areas
- PMP Study Notes 4 – Project Integration Management
- PMP Study Notes 5 – Project Scope Management
- PMP Study Notes 6 – Project Time Management
- PMP Study Notes 7 – Project Cost Management
- PMP Study Notes 8 – Project Quality Management
- PMP Study Notes 9 – Project Human Resource Management
- PMP Study Notes 10 – Project Communication Management
- PMP Study Notes 11 – Project Risk Management
- PMP Study Notes 12 – Project Procurement Management
- PMP Study Notes 13 – Project Stakeholder Management
- PMP Study Notes 14 – Professional & Social Responsibility
- PMP Calculation & Formulae Demystified
- List of FREE PMP Exam Questions (with Benchmarks to assess your PMP Exam readiness)
Taking the PMP Certification Examination
I confess I was quite nervous while taking the PMP Exam despite I have spent over a hundred hours on the PMP Exam prep study & I got around 80% in my PMP sample exam questions. Below are my experience in taking the PMP Exam:
- Schedule PMP Exam thru Prometric
- On the day of taking PMP Certification Exam in Hong Kong
- What would be expected after passing the PMP Exam?
- Lessons Learned: Remember these ITTOs for your PMP Exam
- More than 100 PMP Exam Lessons Learned
Earning PMP PDUs with Lowest Cost
Every PMP need to earn 60 PDU every 3 years in order to be able to renew the PMP Certificate. Earning PDU is not expensive if you know the following tips:
- Earn PDUs to maintain the PMP certification
- PMP PDU requirements are changing from 1 Dec 2015
- PDU for the PMP Claimed 2013-2016 Cycle
- [Free PMP PDU] Six Sigma White Belt Certification Program
- Claim PDU for Watching Recorded PMI Webinars
- Claim PDUs for Reading Books Related to Project Managment
- An Easy Way to Never Forget Earning Enough PDU for PMP Recertification
- Agile PrepCast Review – Best PMI-ACP Exam Prep plus 37 Category A PDUs
- Ways to Get Free PDU for PMP & PMI-ACP
- Claim PMP PDU with ITIL v3 Foundation Certification Exam Preparation
The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide
After receiving thousands of enquiries from PMP Aspirants all over the world, I decided to write a complete PMP Certification and Style Guide in everyday language in order to help PMP Aspirants to understand the PMP Exam Process more thoroughly.
- The Complete PMP Certification & Study Guide (for PMBOK 5)
- The PMP Certification Process Overview
- How Much Time, Effort & Money is Required for the PMP Credential?
- How to Get the Required 35 Hours of PMP Training Cheap & Easy?
- PMP Study Resources: PMBOK, PMP Guide plus Practice Exams
- How to Correctly Fill the Online PMP Application Form?
- How to Pass the PMP Audit Process Smoothly?
- Schedule & Take the PMP Certification Exam
- Once You have Passed the PMP Certification Exam …
- What You should Know about PMP PDU?
Other PMP Certification Related Articles
PDU Requirements for PMP® / PMI-ACP® Certifications From 1st December 2015, PMP® and PMI-ACP® Certification holders will need to categorise their education PDUs according to the PMI Talent Triangle with 3 key aspects: Technical Project Management: Knowledge, skills and behaviors related to specific domains of Project, Program and Portfolio Management Leadership: Knowledge,...
Summary: The PMP® Exam Simulator by OSP International LLC (a PMI Registered Education Provider) has been upgraded to version 2.0 recently. The most sought-after new feature “Live Feedback™” — which allows PMP® Certification Aspirants to ask any questions related to the mock exam questions directly in the PMP® Exam Simulator and get...
Planning, in particular project cost and time planning, requires a lot of estimation as the work involved has not happened yet. In real-world project management and the PMP® Exam, estimation usually involves two distinct types of methods: Analogous Estimating and Parametric Estimating. This post will expound on the similarities and differences of the two kinds...
The “PMP® Certification Bootcamp On-Demand Course” offered by PMtraining is also known as online PMP® training or course. PMtraining offers various courses in PMP®, CAPM® and PMI-ACP® Certification, both in online mode as well as bootcamp mode. Who is PMtraining? PMTraining (formerly PMP®erfect.com) is a member of the SSI Logic group...
One of the fastest and most convenient way to get the PMI required 35 Contact Hours for PMP® Certification nowadays is to take an online PMP® exam prep courses. Though the term “contact hours” may suggest “direct contact within a classroom with the instructor”, PMI does in fact allow PMP®...
Project Quality Management is an important aspect in project management according to the PMBOK® Guide as the quality of the deliverables directly affects the satisfaction of the customers. The acts of ensuring quality for the project and deliverables inevitable involve costs and this should be well considered during the project...
The terms “Work Package” and “Activity” are commonly by many project managers to refer to “the tasks to be performed in the project”, many would used these two terms interchangeably. However, for the PMP® Exam, “Work Package” and “Activity” carry different meanings and should not be treated as the same. PMP®...
Just got the announcement from the producer of PM PrepCast™ that the line of online PMP® Exam and PMI-ACP® Exam prep products will get a price increase from 2 May, 2016. Details of the price change can be found below: PM PrepCast™ and Agile PrepCast™ Most of the online exam...
Hello, my name is Edward and I passed the ITIL® Foundation Exam with 95%. This post is my first-hand tips on how to pass the ITIL® Foundation Exam. If you are just at the very beginning of considering whether to get ITIL® Foundation certified, I have documented my ITIL® Foundation Certification Exam preparation...
There is little doubts — well, maybe some — that getting professional certifications can be a great way to get advancements in one’s professional life (my story here). Usually the question is which certification(s) will be most advantageous for one’s professional achievement. I have my background in the fields of project management...
In Project Time Management, the most important scheduling methods mentioned in the PMBOK® Guide are Critical Path Method and Critical Chain Method. As their names suggest, there are similarities and differences between the two “Critical” methods. This post will try to distinguish between these two types of scheduling methods for the...
Reserve, by definition, is the money set aside for unexpected events / contingencies / risks so that the project will still have enough funding to carry on. Setting aside reserves is one of the most important measures to manage project risks. In PMBOK® Guide, reserves can be sub-divided into 2...
Again in everyday language, there is just a thin line between the meanings of Quality Control (QC) vs Quality Assurance (QA), many use these two terms interchangeably and fail to differentiate between the essences of each. In fact, in many projects, both quality control and quality assurance are performed by...
There are lots of debates on whether classroom face-to-face lectures or online self-paced study is more effective for helping PMP® Certification Aspirants to pass the PMP® Certification Exam. While there is no an universal answer to this discussion, one thing is certain that if you want to get the 35...
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP®, is one of the most renowned PMP® Certification Exam training instructors in the world. He published the PM PrepCast™ — a downloadable / online PMP® Exam prep video course which has helped me to pass my PMP® Certification Exam. Over the years, Cornelius has helped over 30,000...